Who Knew? Colton Underwood Has Been Filming Netflix Series for Weeks

Wednesday April 14, 2021

Colton Underwood's coming out has spawned a Netflix series. Who knew? Well, apparently some people at the streaming giant because TMZ reports that "the former 'Bachelor' star has had a film crew following him for the past few weeks."

"The project is weeks into filming, The Hollywood Reporter (THR) writes. Netflix declined to comment.

What little is known about the series is that it will not be a dating show, but "a docu-series about what happened to him before, during, and after coming out on a platform as large as 'Good Morning America'," writes ScreenRant. "He is the first-ever leading man from 'The Bachelor' to come out as gay after appearing on the show, so many curious viewers will likely want to follow this story closely."

One gay personality associated with the project is Gus Kenworthy, who, according to Variety, "will appear in the series, acting as a guide, of sorts, for Underwood."

Underwood first appeared in 2018 on Season 14 of "The Bachelorette" where he placed fourth. He then joined "Bachelor in Paradise" Season 5 and left the show after its fifth week. Then he was chosen to lead Season 23 of "The Bachelor" in 2019, "ultimately giving his final rose to contestant Cassie Randolph, though they didn't get engaged. They dated until announcing their split in May 2020," People reported.

"During his season of the ABC dating show, Underwood was heavily marketed as 'The Virgin Bachelor,' and his virginity was a major storyline — something he later said he believed was 'overblown,' but not necessarily exploited," wrote ScreenRant.

When asked about his moniker on "GMA," he said, "I could never give anybody a good enough answer about why I was a virgin. The truth is I was 'the virgin Bachelor' because I was gay, and I didn't know how to handle that."

"Underwood left his season in a relationship with his winner Cassie Randolph; the pair acrimoniously split in 2020," THR also reported.

Prior to reality TV fame, Underwood played college football, where he was a tight end at Illinois State University. In 2014, he was signed by the San Diego Chargers as a free agent, and he was also on the practice squad of the Oakland Raiders and Philadelphia Eagles.

On "GMA" he discussed his journey since leaving the show, which included Randolph having a restraining order placed on him (later lifted), as well as him having COVID-19.

"This year's been a lot for a lot of people, and it's probably made a lot of people look at themselves in the year and figure out who they are," Underwood said. "I've ran from myself for a long time. I've hated myself for a long time. I'm gay. I came to terms with that earlier this year, and the next step in all of this was sort of letting people know. I'm the happiest and healthiest I've ever been in my life. That means the world to me."

He also regrets not having done so sooner. "I've had sort of a range of responses, and the underlying most common was 'I wish you would have told me sooner' and when I hear that I wish I would have had faith in my friends and family a little bit more," Underwood said. "The only reason I'm sitting down with you today is because I have the love and support of my friends and my family."